Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Mother's Day

So this is a little late. I wanted to do this one the big day but it was very busy. First, I need to mention something though. Blame it on momnesia! On Thursday, April 24th, Z took a trip with Mommy and Grandma C to see Grandpa C at his work. Grandpa was so excited to show off his new granddaughter to everyone he worked with. Z really enjoyed herself and wanted to thank everyone she met who said such great things about her. She loves the attention! After, Grandma, Grandpa, Mommy, and Zoe went to lunch. Grandma, Mommy and Z went shopping at the Mall of NH after and bought some really cool outfits! Z is decked out for summer now!!

Anyway, my first Mother's Day was a bit surreal. It was weird to know that I get to be celebrated. After all, for the last 31 Mother's Days, it was a day to honor MY mother and grandmother. Because it was going to be so busy on Sunday, Noah and I decided to celebrate on Saturday. Originally, I had wanted to go to the zoo, something low-key but family oriented. However, due to cicumstances beyond our control with our new hot water heater not working, we needed to stay home and wait for it to be fixed. That's okay. We hung out in our pjs all day and took it easy. Daddy made breakfast of french toast, sliced cantelope, biscuits, coffee, and OJ. Then I got some nice gifts. Before, I had roses from Grandma and Grandpa B and Uncle G. I also got cards from some people. Daddy gave me a mother's necklace--gold with diamond chips. Zoe gave me 2 books--Mommy's Hugs and The Grouchy Ladybug. I love reading the books to Zoe, and as she's gotten older, she's able to look at the pictures and listen to the rhythm more.

The next day started with a HOT shower with hot water from our new hot water heater! Then it was off to Grandma and Grandpa C's for brunch with Uncle J and Auntie J. I got more flowers that I can't wait to plant with Z. Auntie couldn't resist getting Z a new purple ladybug outfit. Then it was off to visit with Grandma and Grandpa B, Uncle G, Auntie D, and Uncle J. We went to a very nice restaurant. Z slept in her carseat for the beginning--on the floor because they just didn't have baby accommodations. Oh well. She did end up sitting like a big girl on Mommy's lap, then Grandma's, and then Auntie's. Dessert was at Uncle J and Auntie D's. It was a long day that unfortunately got longer because every highway we took home had night construction! Zoe was great though and slept through it. While she was a little out of sorts Monday, it wasn't like it was in past weekends when it's a long weekend. What a trooper!

Being a mom is a wonderful experience. Yes it's the hardest thing I have ever done, but I love it. It's the one job I've always wanted. Z's smiles make it all worth it. Even a 3am, I can smile when she looks up at me with her beautiful blue eyes and gives me that big toothless grin, it's hard to resist! Like her Daddy says, those grins and eyes have such happiness in them. They have such innocence, love and joy. I love to hold Zoe, watch her sleep, listen to her breath, coo, and talk. Even when she's throwing a tantrum, when I can take a step back and not take it personally, there is some humor there. Zoe is something that no one can take from me. Her father and I brought her into this world full of love, and I know the two of us will do whatever it takes to keep her happy. I know we aren't the only ones either. I know Mother's Day is to honor mothers, but I feel honored to be Z's mom. She helps me to be a better person. I feel like I need to honor her in some way.

Thank you, Zoe, for helping me be a better person. Thank you for being my daughter and allowing me to be a mom. It's all I've ever wanted.

1 comment:

dianeburt said...

Zoe is a very lucky girl to have you for a momma! What a nice Mother's day for everyone!