Thursday, January 8, 2009

Let's get a little political for a moment...

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-thrift2-2009jan02,0,2083247.story

This is an article that was posted on my mommy message board I frequent.  It's about a law that is supposedly going into effect on February 10th.  Read the article....it's a short article and won't take long.  It's interesting reading and I'll let you form your own opinion on it.

Now that you've taken a second to do that, think about what this will mean for children's clothing, toys, books, second hand stores, thrift stores, home school companies, yardsales, libraries, and even your own closets.  In an effort to expedite this bill, they worded it VERY strictly, and it includes DVDs, CDs, books, clothing, everything.  Do you think kids' clothes are expensive now?  How much more are they going to be after the companies have to do the lead testing?  Do you think the small mom and pop stores are going to stick around?  What about those consignment stores that cater to kids' clothing?  Those will be out of business. 

I'm all for keeping lead out of my kid's toys and clothes and things, but c'mon!  This is a bit overboard.  I want her to be safe, but the sweater she's wearing today is NOT going to expose her to deadly levels of lead.  The lambie she sleeps with...I highly doubt it has toxic levels of lead in it...give me a break.  I'm all for increased testing for the toys.  And, there are some watchdog websites that have posted risks for toys (I'll have to find the one I've frequented before and post it).  But, honestly, do we need to extend this to clothing? 

What do you think?  Do you think I'm being to lax or do you think this law is too ridiculous?? 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Anna from MMT here. Well said Amy and thanks for getting the word out!