Monday, March 31, 2008

Thoughts from a New Mom


Last week, while I would be driving around with Zoe, running errands and seeing people, the radio station I keep on in the car, Mix 98.5 (yeah, hold the commentary, I know what some of you think of that station!) was having a radiothon for Children's Hospital in Boston. They call it Mix Cares for Kids. While listening to the radio, you'd hear remixes of songs that had stories from kids, parents, and other family and friends of those who are at Children's or have been patients there. There were all kinds of things that were encouraging, exciting, heart wrenching, and downright depressing.


If you know me, you know how sappy a person I can get when I hear that kind of thing. I always have...however it was so much more now that Zoe has come into my life. I would look at her by way of the mirror and be so thankful for what I have. I look at her now, thinking about what I'm writing, with her snoozing in her jungle swing, so peaceful and content, and just think, "wow, I'm so freakin' lucky." I hope we never need to use Children's Hospital, but if we do, I'm so glad it's there. I'm so glad it's nearby, it's easy to get to, and that the doctors, nurses and other people do what they do. I'm so happy that Zoe is a happy and healthy six and a half week old baby, with no signs of anything wrong with her. I am so happy to know that she is my daughter, that she was brought into a happy, healthy, loving family, to two parents who are so head over heals in love with her, they don't know how lucky they got....we definitely feel blessed and very lucky.


I could go on and on about this...I don't write this to be a sad post, I write this to celebrate the good we have. We didn't find out about Zoe until we were almost done the first trimester. In that time, I went through my normal coffee drinking, wine drinking, and taking the medication I had been on. Thankfully, the medication I was on was not a high dose, and not anything I needed to be on...but it was still a concern for a first time mom. I didn't drink gallons of coffee OR wine, so that wasn't a concern..but I still worried. I think it's only natural to do so. Of course, everything is ALL right. Everything is NORMAL. She is perfect in every single way. This is why I feel so very lucky. Zoe was not planned. She was not expected. But, she is the best thing that has happened to us and we wouldn't change the course of events for anything in the world.


Zoe is a smart baby, she's reaching all of her milestones, she's doing all the right things, and she is loved by everyone who comes into contact with her. She has this uncanny ability to have those who you wouldn't expect to fall in love with her...to fall head over heals for her in a way that I don't think anyone would expect. She's a doll, she's our little angel, and our perfect little love bug.


Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say, I'm so happy for what I have, for what is available to us, and hope we never need to use those resources that are available. If we do, though, I know we're going to get the best care in the area at Children's Hospital...to those who work there, THANK YOU. To those who've used it, I'm so glad it was there for you. And to those who don't need it, hug your children just a little bit closer. Love them just a little bit more. And, kiss them just a little bit more. I know that's what I've been doing with Zoe.

2 comments:

dianeburt said...

She is our perfect miracle! I miss her already!

Unknown said...

We all love Zoe so much!!
You guys did a perfect job! :)