Sunday, February 3, 2008

First post!

Noah and I have decided to start this blog to chronicle our daughter as she grows. She will be born via c-section on February 6, 2008. Our daughter already has quite the personality. She is breech, and just does NOT want to move from that position. I'm sure she just wants to make sure that she is given full control of the situation. She moves around a lot in my belly...moving and making waves. She kicks her dad when he touches her, and moves around when he tries to talk to her. She likes her sweets, and is particularly fond of orange juice. She also thinks that when it's time for bed, it means it's time for HER to dance and play.

We have not told anyone her name yet, and will not be sharing the blog with anyone until after she is born. People have been teasing us about it, but understand why we aren't going to do that. We just don't want anyone to share their comments with us--being a teacher, it was VERY hard to find a name that I couldn't associate with a student, positively or negatively. It was easier for a girl's name than a boy's name, but it is still hard. Noah actually came up with the first name. He really liked the name, and so did I. Then the middle name took a lot longer. We were finally able to narrow it down to two, both family names. Noah didn't want Elizabeth (because he knows so many of us with that as our middle name, his wife included!!). To be honest, we BOTH wanted her to have her own name. I'll talk more about choosing the middle name after she's born.

We're both a bundle of emotions right now. We're anxious to meet our little bundle, excited, nervous, happy, and really looking forward to it. I think I'm happy that I KNOW the day she's coming, instead of wondering about every little twinge and cramp, but it still is nerve wracking waiting, just waiting...My last day of work was Friday, and it was much harder than I thought it'd be knowing I wouldn't be in on Monday. It was emotional for me, not knowing who is coming in to semi-permanently replace me until June, handing over my job, my students, my classroom and all that is in it, to someone I don't know. Knowing that the one assistant I've worked with a lot this year (who has to suddenly move the same time) won't be there is sad as well. The people at school surprised me with two showers, a really nice thing. The sixth grade teachers and then my special education department the next day. We got some nice things for the baby--books, clothes, diapers, lots of things. We are SET.

But I digress...This has been a very emotional time for me, for Noah, for everyone. I'd like to take this time, as I'm sure I'll forget later, to THANK everyone who's been around. I'm sure Noah will agree...everyone has had a hand in helping us in the last many months. Family, friends, co-workers, even strangers, have been more than helpful in making this time easier for us. I won't call people out until I know it's okay to put your name in the blog. But, recently, people have offered their time to help when the baby's born (because I can't drive right away, won't be able to move around much, all that), cooking food for us, getting us those last minute things, making sure this baby has the things that she needs for the cold weather (we ended up with 2 snowsuits!), and anything else we may not have even thought of. Even the gift cards have been immensely helpful. SO, thank you to all of you. Even just letting us talk when we've needed to talk has been wonderful. We feel very very lucky. We have had people we don't even KNOW offer up support and gifts...Thank you all.

We know it will be overwhelming in the beginning. We know that a lot of people are excited for us. We really appreciate it. We know that when we get home, people are going to want to come visit, and we would love to see you. We are going to be in the hospital for four days, and we know that some of you will come to the hospital...that is fine too. Just don't expect me to be the hostess with the mostess! :) I know who you REALLY want to see, anyway!!

No comments: